The "Cabinet of Scientific Applications of the Vatican Museums" was founded in 1935, under the guidance of Vittorio Federici. In that early phase its activities were centred primarily on the analysis of alloys in archaeological and art historical artefacts, and of the pigments used in mural and moveable paintings.
Starting in the 1970s, the Cabinet underwent a period of major transformation due to the acquisition of new instruments and new spaces: for instance, the first experiments with silicon gums date from that period.
Over time the fields of study and research of what is now known as the Cabinet of Scientific Research applied to Cultural Heritage have broadened, due also to the strongly innovative spirit that has distinguished its work and interventions.
Currently the Cabinet is directed by Professor Ulderico Santamaria, with the collaboration of Fabio Morresi and the support of highly qualified staff specialising in the field of sciences applied to cultural heritage.